Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Limo Ride

I am dead set against fundraisers in schools that involve children selling things. The items are overpriced and the school gets very little - usually less than $5 per item. In that case, I would rather write the school a $5 check.

My daughter's church youth group had an excellent fundraiser. They send home a small styrofoam cup with a lid. On the outside, they taped a label with instructions to fill the cup with loose change and return by a certain date, along with information about the reason for the fundraiser. We spent a couple of weeks filling that cup with spare change and ended up with over $20! How's that for a fundraiser? And every child can be involved with that because it's just change, right?

Well, my school did a fundraiser earlier in the year. (I can't believe 1/3 of the school year is over already, and I can talk about things that happened earlier in the school year) The kids got certain rewards for selling a certain number of items. One of the rewards was a ride in a limo to a restaurant for lunch. How exciting! I had several students going, so I got to ride in the limo, too.

I've never ridden in a limo!

As a first-timer, a did it up big. I wore a boa and dark glasses and brought some for my students. We took pictures and had a fabulous time. We got to be celebrities for a couple of hours.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I felt I needed to write about my experience.

When I stepped into the limo, I imagined the world would look different. But it didn't. The grass was still brown and dying. The same buildings and trucks and people lined the street. A limo doesn't change the world. And I imagine that any number of fine things wouldn't either. It's how you look at your world that makes a difference.

God Bless!

Jayna